Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Consigning Women: Part Deux

My criticism of Consigning Women was recently rebuffed and with good measure; I returned today for some shopping and was generally pleased with their prices. One blog reader agreed that "they aren't exactly "thrifty" in what most people think of the word" but I'd like to expound on this concept a little further. It wasn’t accurate for me to compare their prices to those of a thrift store because there’s little association between the two. Consignment shops are more expensive but I feel that as a shopper you are better guaranteed to actually find something there.

Case in point, I am still trying to put together a summer wardrobe and I knew that if I went to Consigning Women I would come across seasonally appropriate clothes. For some reason unknown, most thrift stores in my area do not have many summer clothes; several of them still have winter sweaters on display. Are people more apt to donate cold weather clothing? Is there some conspiracy I have missed?

At any rate, I found a plethora of summer skirts, shorts, Capris, tanks, and tees at Consigning Women. Much to my pleasure, many summer articles had already been marked down so I got two shirts for a steal! The black and white striped tank was marked down to $2.75 and the off-white cowl neck shirt was $6 (shown with Old Navy skirt from VNA Thriftique). And I had a $0.50 coupon from my last visit, so I only spent $8.25.



In addition to all the summer apparel, there were some really cute summer bags including Coach and Dooney & Bourke. They were in the $40 range and looked to be in great condition from a glance. But I currently have too many handbags right now, so I had to tear myself away from them.

Speaking of purses, however, last week I bought a brand new with tags BCBG bag from Orleans Community Exchange and Thrift for only $10. I thought of selling it on eBay but then decided it would be too much of a hassle. I love buying on eBay but selling requires more work than I am interested in exerting.


And for my final thought, I might as well brag about my last purchase from eBay: a brand new DKNY bathing suit for $27.99. I was up in Boston last weekend and the same suit is still for sale at Macy’s; its MSRP is $96! Of course the odds of an online bathing suit actually fitting are nil to nothing but the gods were on my side: it fit! If all else fails, at least I have a suit this summer!

No comments: